Civil War Trails Marker Image
Marker is located at Caboose Plaza, Main Street, Town of Clifton, VA
In mid-June of 1863, prior to the Gettysburg campaign, the Orange&Alexandria Railroad was abandoned by the Union army as the forces headed north to Pennsylvania. Upon their return to the area, Gen. Herman Haupt and his Construction Corps set about repairing the road and the bridges so that the line could again be utilized for military purposes.
After repairs were completed to Bull Run Bridge on September 15, 1863, a secondary camp was established between Union Mills and Sangsters Station. It was named after John H. Devereux, the superintendent of Alexandria railroads. The work of the Construction Corps was made difficult because of almost constant sabotage by Confederate partisan raiders. The Chinquapin Rangers, commanded at this time by Capt. James C. Kincheloe, were responsible for much of the depredation in the area of Devereux Station. Late in the war they re-organized into the 43rd Battalion Virginia Cavalry commanded by John S. Mosby.
Following the war, much of the land around Devereux Station was purchased by a gentleman from New York named Harrison G. Otis. He changed the name to Clifton Station in 1868 and had opened a post office and built a hotel here by 1869.