Less than 30 miles from Washington, DC and yet protected from the surrounding sprawl, Historic Clifton harkens back to a time when…well, back to a time when people were probably a little more used to expressions like “harkens back.”
The town was originally known as Devereux Station, but in 1868, its name was changed to Clifton Station and later shortened to Clifton. With some of the historic homes dating as far back as 1771 it’s small wonder that the town was declared a National Historic District by the U.S. Department of Interior in 1985.
The small town of about 200, affectionately referred to as the “Brigadoon” of Virginia, has been favored by US Presidents (Ulysses S. Grant, Rutherford B. Hayes and Theodore Roosevelt.), First Ladies (Nancy Reagan), Supreme Court justices, Congressmen, Senators, and other notable Washington celebrities.